Paternity Actions

Home/Practice Areas/Family Law/Paternity Actions

Indianapolis Paternity Law Attorney

When parents are unmarried at the time a child is born, a paternity test can be used to establish the identity of the father. Once paternity is established, the court can order the father to pay child support. If it is in the child’s best interests, the father may be awarded primary physical custody.

Experienced Paternity Lawyer Working for You

Establishing paternity can lead to bitter child support and custody disputes. When dealing with a potentially contentious situation, make sure you have an experienced Indianapolis paternity law attorney in your corner. Our attorneys have extensive experience representing fathers and mothers seeking to establish their child’s paternity. We are committed to protecting you and your children’s best interests without escalating the issues involved. Contact our Indianapolis family law firm for a consultation.

Establishing Paternity Rights and Obligations in Indiana

In the past, paternity actions were usually initiated by the mother to collect child support. Now fathers are just as likely to contact a lawyer for parenting time or custody. In Indiana, the father can sign a paternity affidavit at the hospital when the child is born. If paternity is contested, the parties can request for paternity to be established or the court can order DNA testing.

When your child’s future is hanging in the balance, understandingly you have questions. We are committed to addressing your concerns, while explaining how establishing paternity can affect:

  • Child support: Noncustodial parents are required to pay child support according to a formula. It is based on the gross income of the parents and several other factors, including child care, health insurance and overnight parenting time of the noncustodial parent.
  • Legal custody: The parent awarded with legal custody has the right to make medical, religious and educational decisions for the child.
  • Parenting time: The noncustodial parent has the right to see his or her children according to the Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines.
  • Modification to child support: Parents can modify child support if there is a substantial change in financial circumstances — such as a layoff or a promotion.
  • Enforcement of support and parenting orders: If you are not receiving child support or parenting time rights, you can go to court to enforce the order. The court will enforce the current order if applicable and, if contempt is found, order the noncomplying party to pay attorney fees.

Contact an Experienced Indiana Paternity Lawyer

Contact our law firm online to learn how we can protect your parental rights. We offer consultations to address your questions and explain how we can help you. Our law office is conveniently located on the north side of Indianapolis.


What Our Clients Said!

Our Awards & Affiliations