Indianapolis Divorce and Property Division Attorney
Whether you are an English speaker seeking compassionate and skillful legal assistance, a Spanish speaker looking for legal help in your own language, or a person involved in a bilingual dispute — the López Law Office can help.
Contact the López Law Office at 317-542-3142 to learn how I can help you with the following legal issues:
- Divorce: I will walk you through every step of the way, while advocating to protect you and your children's best interests in terms of property division, alimony, child support and custody.
- Property division: Under Indiana divorce and property division rules, the divorce court will split all marital assets and debts precisely in half unless your Indianapolis divorce property division lawyer makes a compelling argument for a different division of assets.
- Child custody: Traditionally, mothers were given primary custody of their children in Indiana. However, this is no longer standard. Family law judges recognize that fathers and mothers can provide a stable, nurturing environment for their children. Every custody matter is determined based on the children's best interests. Contact my Indianapolis law firm to learn how I can assert your rights.
- Child custody modification: A divorce agreement is not necessarily written in stone. A job loss, relocation or other substantial changes could prompt a custody and support arrangement to be modified. For the change to happen, it would have to be based on the children's best interests.
- Child support: I represent parents who will be paying support and those who will be receiving support. I can ensure the correct figures are included in the mandatory child support calculation.
- Fathers' rights: I aggressively defend the rights of fathers to be in their children's lives.
- Paternity actions: If you believe you are the father of a child, I can help you obtain parenting time if a paternity test establishes that you are the father. Unmarried mothers can also obtain child support from the father, once the paternity is established.
- Domestic relations mediation: Mediation can be a less invasive and less costly alternative to trial. As a certified mediator, I will help you find acceptable compromises in divorce and child custody cases.
- Juvenile delinquency: Is your minor in trouble for staying out past curfew, running away, getting in trouble at school, shoplifting, drinking alcohol or other misbehavior? In such cases, it's important for the minor to have proper legal representation because — even though a juvenile record is sealed in Indiana — a judge may ask about your juvenile history if you get in trouble as an adult.
- Children in Need of Services (CHINS): I represent parents in CHINS cases when their child has been removed from the home. You are entitled to take legal action.
- Guardian ad litem (GAL): I serve as a GAL volunteer for children who need an advocate to protect their best interests in court.
- Stepparent adoption: Stepparents can adopt their spouse's child or children in certain situations. I can assist with the process to ensure your family is brought together in a timely manner.
- Name changes: I assist a variety of clients with name changes, including transgender clients who have gone through a transition from male to female or female to male.
My office places a high value on Indianapolis' growing diversity. I assist lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender clients with many legal matters, including:
- Second parent adoption: If you are in a same-sex relationship and share a child or children with your partner but are not the biological parent, you can adopt the child or children to ensure you are granted parental rights now and in the event the relationship ends.
- Domestic partnership agreements: A domestic partnership agreement can address issues regarding property, assets and debt and can be used to guide property division if the relationship ends.
Wills and Guardianships
I am a trained civil mediator available to mediate business and neighborhood disputes of all shapes and sizes. I perform English-English and Spanish-Spanish mediations as well as Spanish-English mediations. Cut the costs of your mediation sessions by hiring a bilingual mediator and forgoing a translator.